Graduate Student Directory
|Degree Program:||Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology||Email:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Major Professor:||Rekha Patel|
Spring 2016- present: Post-doctoral Research Scientist; Columbia University; Department of Microbiology and Immunology; Dr. Sankar Ghosh
Fall 2016-present: T32 Fellowship in Lung Sciences; Columbia Univeristy; Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Medicine; with Drs. Sankar Ghosh, Chris Schindler, and Jahar Bhattacharya
My goal is to demonstrate a functional difference between WT PACT and mutations in PACT found in the DYT16 form of Dystonia. Once a functional consequence of these mutations is found, I will endeavor to show how this change or loss in function is leading to the neuromuscular symptoms found in patients with Dystonia. I also work with the interferon induced protein PKR but instead of the traditional role in viral response I look at its role in the context of cellular stress.
- Univeristy of South Carolina, PhD Biology, Concentration: Molecular Biology, fall 2011-fall 2015
- University of Texas at Dallas, B.S. Biology, 2008-2010
- Pennsylvania State University, Biology-Life Sciences, 2006-2008
Awards and Leadership Positions:
- Presidential Fellow (2011-2015)
- Graduate Association of Biological Students (GABS) Member ('11-'15), Secretary ('12-'13), President ('13-'14), Website Coordinator ('13-'15)
- Univ of SC Graduate School Travel Grant (fall 2013, fall 2015)
- ICIS Milstein Travel Award (fall 2013, fall 2014, fall 2015)
- Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Travel Award (spring 2014)
- Elsie Taber Graduate Fellowship Fund (fall 2014, fall 2015)
- Kathryn Hinnant-Johnson, M.D. Memorial Fellowship Recipient (spring 2015)
- Preparng Future Faculty Certificate (2015)
- Dean's Dissertation Fellowship (fall 2015)
Publications: Google Scholar
- Vaughn LS, Bragg DC, Sharma N, Camargos S, Cardoso F, and Patel RC. Altered activation of protein kinase PKR and enhance apoptosis in dystonia cells carrying a mutation in PKR activator protein PACT. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 31 July 2015.
- Vaughn LS, Snee B, and Patel RC. Inhibition of PKR protects against tunicamycin-induced apoptosis in neuroblastoma cells. Gene, 14 January 2014.
- The International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research, Cytokines 2015: Opposing roles of two dsRNA binding proteins PACT and TRBP on RIG-I induced interferon production. Vaughn LS and Patel RC. October 2015 Bamberg, Germany.
- The International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research, Cytokines 2014: Dystonia-Causing Frame-Shift Mutation in PACT Activates Interferon-Induced Protein Kinase PKR by Aggregate Formation. Vaughn LS and Patel RC. Poster, October 2014 Melbourne, AUS.
- Cold Spring Harbor Laoratory: Molecular Chaperones and Stress Responses: Effect of Dystonia-Causing Point Mutation in PACT on Activation of eIF2a Protein Kinase PKR During Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress. Vaughn LS, Bragg DC, Sharma N, Camargos S, Cardoso F, and Patel RC. Poster, April 2014 CSHL, NY.
- The International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research, Cytokines 2013: Effect of Dystonia-Causing Point Mutation in PACT on Activation of Interferon-Induced Protein Kinase PKR. Vaughn LS, Bragg DC, Sharma N, Camargos S, Cardoso F, and Patel RC. Poster, October 2013 San Francisco, CA.
- Cameron Carlson, fall 2014-summer 2015, Current: Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Biomedical Sciences
- Victoria WIllingham, summer 2014-fall 2015, Honors College, Magellan Scholar
- Brittany Pulkrabek, spring 2014-fall 2014, Current: Medical Student at USC School of Medicine-Greenville
- Brittany Snee, spring 2012-spring 2013, Magellan Scholar,University of SC M.A.T. Biology Graduate, Current: Science and Research Teacher at Dutch Fork High School
- Kali Esancy, fall 2012-spring 2013, Honors College, Magellan Scholar, Fulbright Scholar, Current: Graduate Student at University of Washington
- Stepahnie Crawford, spring 2012-fall 2012, Current: Medical Student at VCOM School of Osteopathic Medicine
- Ka Park, spring 2011, Current: Dental Student at Tufts School of Dental Medicine
- Victoria Lee, spring 2011, Current: Medical Student at University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
- UTD: Genetics, Cell Biology, and Physiology
- SC: BIOL 302L, Spring 2013-Spring 2015