- Arts and Sciences
- About the Department
- Undergraduate Program
- Graduate Program
- Program Overview
- Graduate Studies Handbook
- Graduate Studies Directory
- Ecology, Evolution, & Physiology
- Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology (MCDB)
- Plant Sciences
- PSM Bioinformatics
- PSM Biotechnology
- The Graduate School
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- Graduate Association of Biological Sciences (GABS)
- Graduate Student FAQs
- Research & Facilities
Richard A. Long
Ph.D., 2001, Scripps Institution of Oceanography
- Marine microbial ecology and biogeochemistry.
- Bacterial-mediated transformation of organic marine particles- microns to macroaggregates.
- Application of genomics and systems biology to microbial ecology.
- Microbial interactions and communication.
- Ecology of waterborne pathogens.
Active and Future Projects:
- Ecological Characterization of Bioluminescence in Mangrove Lagoon, Salt River Bay, St. Croix, USVI. (Jay Pinckney, Claudia Benitez-Nelson, USC)
- Anthropogenic Impacts on Estuarine Benthic Microbial Communities. (Jay Pinckney, C. Rick Lovell, USC)
- Examination of the role of bacterial antibiosis in structuring bacterial species composition at the micrometer scale. (David Rowley, URI)
- Survival of human pathogens in marine environment and response to stress
2012. Antagonistic interactions between heterotrophic bacteria as a potential regulator of community structure of hypersaline microbial mats. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. . PDF
2012. Acid stress response in environmental and clinical strains of enteric bacteria. Frontiers in Biology. . PDF
2011. Depth distributions of alkaline phosphatase and phosphonate utilization genes in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre. Aquatic Microbial Ecology. 62: 61-69. PDF
2010. Production and enzymatic hydrolysis of carbohydrates in intertidal sediment. Aquatic Microbial Ecology. 60: 109-125. PDF
2009. Subcellular localization of marine bacterial alkaline phosphatases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 106: 21219-21223. PDF
2007. Antibiotic from the marine environment with antimicrobial fouling activity. Environmental Toxicology . 22: 275-280. PDF
. My full publication list via Google Scholar. . . Google Scholar